For admission to the UI College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, transfer applicants (including domestic and international applicants who attended college in the United States) must have:
- a cumulative grade-point average (GPA) of 2.50 or higher on at least 24 semester hours (36 quarter hours) of acceptable graded credit
- an Associate of Arts (AA) Degree from an Iowa community college or Waldorf College and a cumulative transfer GPA of 2.00 or higher on acceptable graded credit from all colleges attended (AA holders from Black Hawk College in Illinois must have a cumulative transfer GPA of 2.25 or higher from all colleges attended)
- an Associate of Science (AS) Degree from an Iowa community college, a cumulative transfer GPA of 2.00 or higher on acceptable graded credit from all colleges attended.
Students with fewer than 24 semester hours will be considered for admission based on a combination of high school and college academic records, as well as ACT or SAT scores.
There are different requirements for International Students Transferring from a College Outside of the United States.
English Proficiency Requirement
Applicants whose first language is not English also must meet the university's English Proficiency Requirements.
August 1st—Fall Semester
December 5th—Spring Semester
When you are admitted, a Degree Audit will become part of your Admissions Profile on the Iowa Student Information System. The audit:
- specifies which General Education Program Requirements and requirements for your major you still need to fulfill
- indicates which prerequisite courses necessary for applying to the respective colleges need to be fulfilled
- monitors other degree requirements including semester hours, GPA, residency requirement, and college-specific regulations
The Office of Admissions evaluates transfer courses on General Education Program requirements, as well as a number of courses applicable to the requirements of your major. Your major department makes decisions about how the rest of your transfer courses apply toward the requirements for your major.
Review the Transfer Policies to find out about calculating your transfer GPA, Iowa's course-repeat policy, and other Iowa transfer policies.
Course Equivalency Guide
Search the Transfer Equivalency Guide for commonly transferred courses offered at other Iowa institutions and our major out-of-state transfer colleges. The system is designed for prospective students who want to know how courses will transfer to Iowa and for UI students who plan to take courses at other institutions in the summer or at other times.
General Education Program
All students entering the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences who wish to earn BA, BS, BFA, BLS, or BM degrees must complete the college's General Education Program in addition to the course work required for their specific major.